Google Translate

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Lobster Rolls

When it comes to romantic gestures, I've never been a big flowers and chocolates kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I'd bathe in chocolate if I could and I love the surprise flowers that occasionally show up at my office on my birthday. However, in terms of showing affection, nothing is more flattering than a man who knows you well and thinks a little outside the box. More specifically, a man who packs a live lobster in a box and carries it home on a flight from Halifax just because he thinks it will make you smile. Did I mention he has a seafood allergy? He can't even partake in the eating of the lobster!  If I were a cartoon character there would be little cartoon swooning hearts floating above my head right now...

I decided to use my lobster surprise to make lobster rolls, but as I researched recipes I quickly learned that there is a long-standing feud within the lobster roll community. Proponents of the "Maine style" roll believe it should include mayo while fans of the "Connecticut style" version are adamant that butter is best. Within these two groups there are varying opinions on which other ingredients are acceptable, whether the bun should be plain or lightly toasted, and the best way to serve the lobster meat itself (apparently some feel claw meat should be kept whole).

With the awareness that I may be entering a culinary minefield, I have opted to create a version that appeals to my tastes and bridges the Maine-Connecticut divide: lightly toasted bun, minimal ingredients, a little butter AND...wait for it...a little mayo (cue gasps of shock and horror across the east cost). All I know is that it tastes delicious.

Makes 1 large serving

1 cooked lobster (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1/2 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 tablespoon mayo
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 green onion (green parts only), finely diced
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
1 large hot dog bun

Cook your lobster using whatever method you prefer - boiled, steamed, or even grilled. I chose to boil mine in lots of salty water. Once cooked, let the lobster cool slightly so it's easier to handle. Shell the lobster and remove all the meat (tip: you can save the shells to make fish stock if you like). Roughly chop the meat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the butter, mayo, celery, onion, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Toast the bread roll if desired. Fill the roll with the lobster mixture and serve.


3 comments:

  1. Hi there, this is a really nice post about fish/seafood. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things fishy and seafoody. Food on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd be thrilled if you linked to the recipe! Glad you enjoy it and thank you so much for your feedback.

      Delete
    2. My pleasure! I noticed lots of delicious recipes and look forward to trying a few!

      Delete