Google Translate

Thursday 9 February 2012

Fried PB and Chocolate Wontons

Whenever I make dumplings I always end up with a few leftover wonton wrappers which usually throw in the freezer thinking I will use them for the next batch.  This is never the case as I always get fresh ones and end up tossing the severely freezer burnt ones that I was saving.  With my last batch of dumplings I decided I would try my hand at some dessert wontons to use up the leftover wrappers. All I can say is yum! Why didn't I do this any sooner?! OK, so maybe it's not the most figure flattering dish but all you need is one or two to satisfy your sweet craving at the end of a meal. 

Makes about 10 wontons

1/2 cup oil, peanut, sunflower or anything suitable for high heat
10 wonton wrappers
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp icing sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
2 oz of your favourite chocolate, broken into 10 pieces

In a small bowl heat peanut butter and butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave.  Stir to until smooth to combine.  Add vanilla and 2 tbsp of icing sugar to peanut butter mix and stir to incorporate. 

Fill a ramekin or small bowl with cold water. Lay out wonton wrappers and wet one edge with water. Place about one to two tsp of peanut butter mixture in the centre then add a piece of chocolate on top.  Fold wrapper over to create half-moon shape and seal.  Next, fold the two ends tip-to-tip and seal by pinching to form a wonton shape. 

In a small pot, heat oil over medium high heat to 350F.  You can use a meat thermometer to gauge the heat. Prepare a plate lined with paper towel.

In two batches, place wontons into hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes, turning over to brown all sides.  Remove wontons with slotted spoon to plate lined with paper towel.  When all wontons have been fried, serve on plate with a dusting of icing sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment