Google Translate

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Apricot and coconut granola

I'm not going to pretend this granola qualifies as health food; I recognize it veers more towards the "treat" end of the breakfast spectrum. However, I do think it's important to point out that it's choc full of heart-healthy fats, fiber, and omega-3's. It's also extremely delicious. You can store the granola in an air tight container at room temperature for about a week (if it lasts that long). It's great on it's own as a snack or served with greek yogurt, kefir, or milk.

Makes about 6 cups

2 3/4 cups rolled oats
2 cups mixed nuts (I like walnuts and sliced almonds)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons ground flax
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 300F. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, flax, and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, syrup and olive oil. Warm over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and fold into the oat and nut mixture. Be sure to coat everything well.

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the granola mixture over it. Bake until lightly golden and fragrant, about 35 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from the oven and stir in the chopped dried apricots. Allow to cool.

4 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a good granola recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think! You can use pretty much any kind of dried fruit that you like. I made it once with dried cherries and it was delicous. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are very similar. I got my granola recipe from a friend who got it from the New York Times. I changed the amount of syrup and sugar slightly along with adding different nuts and dried fruit. Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! This recipe is a hyrbid of a few we've found including one from the Eleven Madison Park cookbook which was also published in the NY Times) We tried a few different sugar/syrup proportions and fruit/nut combinations til we found a result that suited our tastes. I add flax to almost everything I bake and it works really well in this granola too, either ground on whole seeds.
      Hope you enjoy the blog!

      Delete