Google Translate

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Ginger and lemon spiced apple cider


Every time I drink this cider I am transported to a crisp, sunny, winter day. In this daydream I'm at the cottage and have just come in from a brisk snowshoe. My cheeks are rosy and my fingertips are cold. As I try to warm them up, Adam hands me a mug of hot cider and winks. Of course I know the wink means he's added a splash of rum, God bless him. Then he suggests I sit by the fire and put my feet up while he finishes cleaning the bathroom, folding the laundry, and doing my taxes. Ahhh one can dream...

Makes 4-6 servings

6 cups apple cider (not apple juice)
1 cinnamon stick
3-4 cloves
1 lemon, peeled and juiced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger

Slice the ginger into thin slices and prick each with a fork to help release the juices. Combine all the ingredients in a large pot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer gently for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to blend. Serve in mugs. Feel free to add that splash of rum to your mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment